Anglo American plc (“Anglo American”) announces the appointment of Mark Cutifani as Chief Executive, with effect from 3 April 2013.
Mark Cutifani has been Chief Executive Officer of AngloGold Ashanti Limited, the South Africa-based gold producer, since 2007 and has led the successful restructuring and development of its business, which includes operations in ten countries on four continents.
Prior to his current role, Mr Cutifani was the Chief Operating Officer of CVRD Inco, the Canadian nickel company. He started his career in the coal and gold mining industries in Australia and has experience across a wide range of commodities. He has a degree in Mining Engineering and is the current President of the South African Chamber of Mines.
Commenting on Mr Cutifani’s appointment, Anglo American’s Chairman, Sir John Parker, said: “Mark Cutifani is an experienced listed company chief executive with a focus on creating value. He is a seasoned miner, with broad experience of mining operations and projects across a wide range of commodities and geographies, including South Africa and the Americas. Mark is a highly respected leader in the global mining industry, with values strongly aligned to those of Anglo American. We look forward to welcoming him as our Chief Executive.”
Mark Cutifani said of his appointment: “Anglo American has some of the highest quality mining operations and projects amongst its diversified peer group, bound together within a company with a deep sense of responsibility. I am delighted to have the opportunity to lead Anglo American at this important stage in its journey, to unlock the company’s very considerable value potential.”
Anglo American’s current Chief Executive, Cynthia Carroll, will step down from the Board at the Company’s Annual General Meeting in April 2013 and will leave Anglo American at the end of that month.
Paying tribute to Cynthia’s leadership, Sir John said: “Cynthia Carroll is an inspirational leader who has had a transformational impact on Anglo American. Among many other things, her legacy will include a step change improvement in safety, sustainability and the quality of our engagement with stakeholders. She will be leaving Anglo American with our thanks for everything she has achieved and with our best wishes for the future.”
Mark Cutifani was appointed Chief Executive Officer of AngloGold Ashanti on 1 October 2007. He is a Board member and Chairman of the Executive Committee and a member of a number of its operating and strategic committees. His career in the mining industry spans 35 years.
Prior to joining AngloGold Ashanti, Mark held the position of Chief Operating Officer at Vale Inco, a Toronto based company, where he was responsible for Vale’s global nickel business. Before Vale’s takeover of Inco, Mark was Inco’s Chief Operating Officer.
Previously, Mark held senior executive positions with the Normandy Group, Sons of Gwalia, Western Mining Corporation, Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines and CRA (Rio Tinto). Mark is a mining engineer and has several published papers and presentations. Since embarking on his mining career in 1976 Mark has had direct involvement in mining operations, business development and corporate roles across six continents, more than 25 countries and covering 20 commodities.
Mark is currently a member of the following institutions:
- Fundação Dom Cabral (FDC) Brasil University – Member of International Advisory Council
- Kellogg Innovation Network (US) – International Advisory Committee
- University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business (UCT-GSB) – Member of Advisory Board
- University of Pretoria – Member of Mining Advisory Committee
- Colombia University – Center on Sustainable International Investment – Member of Advisory Board
- Business Leadership of South Africa (BLSA) – Executive Council Member
- SA Chamber of Mines – President
- India-Brazil-South Africa (IBSA) Business Council Steering Committee – Member
- International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM) – Executive Committee Member and Treasurer
- World Gold Council – Member of the Board
- World Economic Forum – Member of Mining & Metals Steering Board and Governor, Mining and Metals Industry Programme
- Australia Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM) – Fellow
Picture of Sergio Dionisio/Bloomberg.